Monday, August 31, 2026

Haven: A small cat's adventure by Megan Wagner Lloyd



We never really know about the very early life of this little kitten named Haven but somehow she finds herself in the forest and luckily her exploring leads her to the door of Ma Millie. Haven and Ma Millie have a happy and contented life on the edge of the forest with a warm house and plenty of delicious smells not to mention the food treats Ma Millie shares with her new companion. Ma Millie does live alone but she has a kind neighbour Jacob Levan who regularly visits them.

Over time Ma Millie grows older and she becomes unwell. Eventually Haven, who has always been an inside cat, knows she has to seek help, and this means re-entering the hostile forest. Yes, the forest is dangerous, but help is available. Haven meets a fox. The fox agrees to help Haven find her way to the town in the hope she can find Jacob Levan and then get him to come and help Ma Millie. The journey to the city is long, dangerous and over very rough country. Fox is able to show Haven the way, but their trip means they have to cross over a huge river and climb through a deep ravine. Fox knows they are being followed by a Bobcat and this Bobcat has a plan to catch and eat the pair.

There is a huge time and plot jump in this book between chapters 33 and 34 (this is a very short book with 129 pages so the chapters are short). Readers need to be patient and wait for Megan Wagner Lloyd to explain how Haven has been saved (I won't say too much more).

I saw this book at The Constant Reader last week - Why did I buy it? Why is these one of the three books I selected out of the hundreds on offer? First of all, the publisher is Candlewick, and they consistently produce excellent books; secondly the blurb appeal to me; and thirdly I did read the three review quotes on the back cover from Kirkus, Booklist and Shelf Awareness. I was not familiar with the author so the cover information "author of the national bestseller Allergic" didn't mean anything to me although I now discover it is a graphic novel one of several by Megan Wagner Lloyd. I also like the cover although I am not usually drawn to books about cats.

I would be happy to recommend this book to readers aged 9+ but with the warning that it is very sad and there is one violent scene when our small cat hero Haven is confronted by that huge Bobcat.

Publisher blurb: A warm, cozy lap. The toasty smell of baking bread. Tasty food served in a bright-blue bowl. These make Haven’s life as an indoor pet heaven. All thanks to her beloved human and rescuer, Ma Millie. But when Ma Millie becomes too sick to care for her, the cat’s cozy life is turned upside down, and Haven decides she must seek out another human for help. Anything for Ma Millie! Her vow pulls her out of her safe nest into the shadowy forest and down unfamiliar and dangerous roads. When her first plan fails, Haven meets a wilderness-savvy fox who volunteers as an ally, and their perilous journey together brings some victories. But Haven finds herself pitted against creatures far wilder than she ever could be, testing her strength and spirit to their limits. Will her loyalty to Ma Millie—and her newfound confidence in herself—be enough to help Haven see the quest through to its conclusion? Can she stand up against the fierce predator that is tracking her every move?

This small novel deals with issues such as friendship, trust and self-confidence. ReadPlus

A sweet, sincere tale of self-discovery. Kirkus

Haven is a heartwarming, adventurous tale of a timid creature finding courage and confidence in the world. There’s plenty to discuss in this book with younger readers, from friendship to bravery and persistence. This story strikes the perfect balance of gentle and suspenseful for readers who love animals and adventure and its short length makes it approachable for younger readers ... Reading Middle Grade

Awards for Haven:

  • A Junior Library Guild Gold Standard Selection
  • Chicago Public Library Best of the Best Books 2022
  • 2023-2024 Texas Bluebonnet Award Master List
  • 2023 Kansas NEA Reading Circle Recommended Title
  • 2024 Magnolia Book Award
  • 2025 Charlie May Simon Book Award
  • 2024-25 South Carolina Children’s Book Award Nominee

In some ways the journey of this story reminded me of this old classic that I read as a child. I have put m cover and a more contemporary one:




You may be familiar with these graphic novels by Megan Wagner Lloyd:


Megan Wagner Lloyd is also the author of this picture book illustrated by Phoebe Wahl which I have on my 'to read/to discover' list:



No comments:

Post a Comment