Sunday, August 23, 2026

Together by Jane Simmons


Mousse and Nut (two very different dogs) are the best of friends until one day something goes wrong. Nut jumps onto a wall, but it is too high for Mousse. Mousse jumps in the lake but Nut cannot swim.

"You're not my best friend any more,' said Mousse, unhappily. 'You're not mine then,' said Nut. Everything was horrible."

You need to notice the way Jane Simmons uses weather in her story. When Mousse and Nut begin their friendship the rain clears away and the sunshine breaks through the clouds. As their friendship shatters the dark cloud gather. Both retreat to their kennel homes to watch the rain. Mousse and Nut are miserable. Mousse makes the first move - setting out to talk to Nut. 

"They smiled at each other. The rain stopped and sunshine broke through the clouds."

A topic that is often requested by teachers of young children is friendship. A picture book can be a great way to show the ups and downs of friendship and also these books can also be great discussion starters or simply terrific for an adult to share with one child - the book can be a safe way to make sense of conflicts that should be seen as a 'normal' part of navigating relationships and especially friendships.

I highly recommend this book Together - it was published in 2006 but I am sure you will find a copy in a library - that's where I found it. You should also look for other books by Jane Simmons - I really like her 'soft focus' almost 'cuddly' illustrations.





In your library it might be fun to display other books with the word 'together' in the title:







Here is another book I love to share with children about 'weathering' the ups and downs of friendship:

No comments:

Post a Comment