I will let Anita explain the structure of these reviews :
"Every day of the calendar year I discuss an appropriate title and then provide information about how it came about, the author, the ideal audience and how the book has connected in a meaningful way with young people from babies to age fourteen. ... For each day of the year I also provide a sidebar that lists other events and contains children's books related to these events."
How will I use the Almanac?
- As a shopping list of course
- A memory jogger of books I have read and perhaps forgotten
- A diary planner so I can celebrate author and illustrator birthdays
- A celebration planner so we can celebrate using children's books
- And finally as inspiration.
Turning to my birthday I see the book of the day was Savvy which I have also reviewed. This was a book I really loved so I am happy to see it coincides with my birthday. The sidebar mentions I share a birthday with Frances Hodgson Burnett and Carlo Collodi (Pinocchio).
I am very glad to have a copy of this book on my shelf of children's literature reference books and I am sure it is a volume I will return to many times. My only dilemma is will I write all over it with annotations... this is so tempting.