Tuesday, April 16, 2013

CBCA Short list 2013

Exactly one week ago today the Children's Book Council of Australia announced the short listed titles for our Book of the Year awards which will be awarded in August this year.

I was quite excited to discover our school library contains nearly all the titles and I have actually blogged three of them.


CBCA 2013

Book of the Year for Younger Readers


CBCA 2013

Book of the Year Early Childhood

Allen, Emma Ill. Freya Blackwood The Terrible Suitcase 
Cox, Tania Ill. Karen Blair With Nan 
DeGennaro, Sue The Pros and Cons of Being a Frog 
Dubosarsky, Ursula Ill. Andrew Joyner Too Many Elephants in This House 
Harris, Christine Ill. Ann James It’s a Miroocool! 
Walker, Anna Peggy 

CBCA 2013


Picture book of the Year


Brooks, Ron Text: Julie Hunt The Coat
Goodman, Vivienne Text: Margaret Wild Tanglewood 
Gordon, Gus Herman and Rosie
Lester, Alison Sophie Scott Goes South 
Mullins, Patricia Text: Glenda Millard Lightning Jack 
Wilson, Mark Text: Jackie French A Day to Remember

Over the last week I have read nearly all the books on these lists and so I will share my thoughts for each book in this blog but for today I think I will be brave and make some predictions.  I hope Pookie Aleera wins the Younger Readers Award.  In the Early Childhood picture book category I did enjoy It's a Mirocool because it feels so Australian and is a different take on the usual tooth fairy story and for Picture book of the Year I have no firm favourite.  I loved the sentiment and setting of Herman and Rosie, the depth of research in A day to Remember, the philosophical message of Tanglewood and the life affirming and joyous message of The Coat.  I guess we will have to wait and see which books win but meanwhile it will be good to read the thoughts of reviewers, teachers, teacher-librarians and of course the children over the coming months.  In our school library we will begin reading these books next term.

A big thank you to My Book Corner for these book cover images.  I love the way they have created these little sets so you can see all the titles at a glance.

When we read these books I like to make links to other books by the same authors and illustrator along with links to books on a similar theme.  When we read Tanglewood there are some terrific books about trees in our library which I have collected on Pinterest.





1 comment:

Emma @ My Book Corner said...

Hello there - thanks for the mention of My Book Corner! We were very excited too re the CBCA Shortlist announcement.
I'm glad you enjoyed our images - a great way to celebrate some fantastic books.