Sunday, January 12, 2014

The Great Nursery Rhyme Disaster by David Conway illustrated by Melanie Williamson

Early in the year I have plans to explore our collection of books about Humpty Dumpty.  Humpty himself is not the main character in The Great Nursery Rhyme Disaster it is Miss Muffet but I think this book might be a fun way to talk about Nursery Rhymes and hopefully revisit old favourites.

Miss Muffet is bored with being in the same old rhyme day after day so she sets off to try out a new rhyme.  Along the way she meets The Grand old Duke of York, Jack and Jill, the mouse who lives by the grandfather clock, Johnny Flynn and Tommy Stout, the dish and the spoon and finally Humpty Dumpty.

This is a typical case of the grass is not greener on the other side of the hill and Miss Muffet eventually finds her way back to her own rhyme only to have the spider side down beside her and frighten her away!

I love the huge colourful illustrations in this book along with the changes of type face and the inclusion of each rhyme.  In my next post I will talk about the Humpty Dumpty books I plan to read to the students this term.



No comments: