Monday, April 11, 2016

Millie's marvellous hat by Satoshi Kitamura



I am making a collection of books about hats because next term we will celebrate National Simultaneous storytime and this year the featured book is I got this hat.

The NSS book this year is fairly simple and I will have an 'audience' of 150 excited Kindergarten students so I am planning on a hat celebration.

I have selected Millie's Marvellous Hat as one of the extra books we will feature at our school event. Millie sees a wonderful hat in a store but then discovers it costs 'five hundred and ninety-nine pounds and ninety-nine pence."  All Millie has is an empty purse.  The wonderful shop keeper comes to her rescue.  He has the most marvellous hat which can be any "size, shape or colour you wish.  All you have to do is imagine it."  Imagination is the key word here.  Millie sets off and her hat becomes a feather extravaganza, a tower of cakes, a bouquet of flowers and a joyous celebration of her happy thoughts.  On the final pages mum and dad join in too creating their own marvellous hats.  I really want to celebrate the adults in this book who are so affirming of Millie and her imagination.

I adore the art of Satoshi Kitamura.  You can read a review of another one of his books here.  Here is an amazing Pinterest collection of picture books about hats.

I plan to give each of my Kindergarten teachers a book about hats.  Here are some of my favourites:

Sebastian lives in a hat
More Caps for Sale
Clara Button and the magical hat day
Jennie's Hat
This is not my hat by Jon Klassen
I want my hat back by Jon Klassen
The Kinder hat by Morag Loh
Rosie's hat by Julia Donaldson





No comments: