Thursday, February 28, 2019

CBCA Notables 2019 Book of the Year: Early Childhood



"Entries in this category may be fiction, drama or poetry and should be appropriate in style and content for children who are at pre-reading or early stages of reading. Ages 0-7"

Last week I made some predictions about the two CBCA Picture book sections for the 2019 Notables. I was spectacularly wrong!  Out of 40 titles in the two picture book categories I only identified eight books and in the category which is the focus of this post (Early Childhood) I only picked one out of the twenty!

You can see the whole list here but some I do like are:

A boat of Stars by Margaret Connolly and Natalie Jane Prior
(a wonderful poetry book)



Collecting Sunshine by Rachel Flynn illustrated by Tamsin Ainslie (here is an activity pack)
Chip the Lifeguard by Kylie Howarth
Rainbow Bear by Stephen Michael King


Dinosaur Day out by Sara Acton
(here is a set of teachers notes by Megan Daley)
All the Ways to be Smart by Davina Bell
Duck by Meg McKinlay 
(here is a set of Teachers Notes)




For Pre-School aged children I like:

It's a long way to the shop by Heidi McKinnon
(the last page made me laugh out loud)
Red house, Blue house, Green house, Tree house! by Jane Godwin illustrated by Jane Reiseger

One of the interesting choices in this section is Rhyme Cordial. You can watch a trailer which shows how this board book works. This is certainly a special book for a very young child.


Finally the book I am most looking forward to exploring is Beware the Deep Dark Forest by Sue Whiting illustrated by Annie White. I looks like one to pair with The Tunnel by Anthony Browne and The Park in the Dark by Martin Waddell.


No comments: