Wednesday, July 10, 2019

My holiday reading pile


During my short holiday over the last month I visited bookshops, charity shops and libraries. Here are some of the books I enjoyed reading. Some are very new and some are older classic titles. I will talk about most of these in greater detail over the coming weeks.  My "to blog" pile is growing taller every day.

The Good Thieves by Katherine Rundell
Why did I select this book? I have read nearly every book written by Katherine Rundell. She spoke at the recent Sydney Writers Festival and like Michelle Paver who I heard many years ago I was excited to learn how deeply Katherine researches the activities of her characters. Her broken toes testify to her attempts at tight rope walking. She even ate a tarantula!



The Railway Children by E Nesbit
(first published magazine serial 1905, book 1906)
Why did I select this book? This is one of those classic books that I thought I had read but perhaps I had only seen the movie.



Sweep, the story of a Girl her Monster by Jonathan Auxier
Why did I select this book? Colby Sharp raved about this book many months ago. It has been on my to read list and so I purchased an ebook version for holiday reading.


A handful of stars by Cynthia Lord
Why did I select this book? I have read two other titles by Cynthia Lord - Rules and Half a Chance. I am often drawn to books set in Maine, US.



Sweeping up the Heart by Kevin Henkes
Why did I select this book? I am a HUGE fan of Kevin Henkes - especially of his middle grade novels. I recently re-read his wonderful book Junonia. Sweeping up the Heart is Kevin's newest title.



The Dolls' House by Rumer Godden
Why did I select this book? I am working my way through all the children's books by Rumer Godden. Miss Happiness and Miss Flower is a book I absolutely adored as a child. Doll houses also fascinate me.




Jubilee by Patricia Reilly Giff
Why did I select this book? I have read other books by Patricia Reilly Giff. The plot of Pictures of Hollis Woods lingers with me nearly two decades after my first reading.




No Ballet shoes in Syria by Catherine Bruton
Why did I select this book? The cover and the blurb grabbed my attention. I am so glad I picked up this book - it is absolutely a ten out of ten read! If you are reading this post and are wondering where to start - begin with this book - you will not be disappointed.



Umbrella Mouse by Anna Fargher
Why did I select this book? Every Waterstones store in the UK had this book featured in a window display. I saw it in London, Edinburgh and Inverness. Sam Usher is the illustrator and that added to my curiosity. 




The Garden of Lost Secrets by AM Howell
Why did I select this book? This is also a book with a cover and blurb that appealed to me.


Fir for Luck by Barbara Henderson
Why did I select this book? I was travelling through rural Scotland when I spied this book. I find history so much easier to digest when it is presented in a narrative. Fir for Luck, a Young Adult title, was a good way to gain some understanding of the Highland Clearances of 1750-1860.


No comments: