Wednesday, April 8, 2020

A Splendid Friend, indeed by Suzanne Bloom


What are you doing? 
Are you reading?

I like to read.

Do you want to hear me read?

Now what are you doing? 
Writing?

Bear has his book. He is happy reading. Along comes Duck - noisy, curious, effusive Duck. Bear tries to write. He tries to think.  Duck decides to make a snack. He arrives with the snack and a picnic rug and a note for bear:

I like you.
Indeed I do,
You are my splendid friend.

A Splendid Friend, Indeed was the inaugural winner of the Theodor Seuss Geisel award in 2006. I love this book and the others from the series. I am so happy to have discovered this book which would be utterly perfect to share with a preschool child.


I would pair this book with It's a Book.



Here are all the books in this series by Suzanne Bloom.



In Treasure, Bear has a map. Duck decides he should join the treasure hunt but after an extensive search - digging and diving - no treasure is found. That is until the quietly spoken bear explains he did find some treasure - Duck himself is the real treasure.

Oh! What a surprise is similar to The Silver Christmas Tree by Pat Hutchins. Presents are being wrapped - Fox is excited - surely these presents are his!

No comments: