Monday, August 16, 2021

Children's Book Council of Australia awards in the 1980s

 



By the 1980s many more books were submitted to the CBCA for their awards. The categories were changed to include Younger Readers.  Here is the wording for this award: In 1982 the judges were instructed to award a medal for a category of junior readers if there was a book entered which in their opinion deserved recognition. In 1983 a medal was to be presented to the author of the Junior Book of the Year and a further medal to the illustrator if, in the opinion of the judges the illustrations add significantly to the Text. The title of the Award was known as the Junior Book of the Year Award until 1987.

In the 1980s I started working in my first school library and so we now move onto books I read myself and many more books I shared with students some of which I continued to read aloud for decades. In 1988 the Eve Pownall Award was given to My Place by Nadia Wheatley. In 1982 the Book of the Year Award was changed to Book of the Year: Older Readers. Today we assume these books are for readers aged 12+ and we now use the term Young Adult books.

For this post I will share the cover and a link to my blog post if applicable of books from this decade that I especially enjoyed.

Book of the Year 

1980s



1980 Displaced Person by Lee Harding was the winner. Not long after I read this book I was standing in the queue for Macdonalds in the city. I stood at the counter for a long time and was totally ignored by the server. It felt as though the invisibility I read about in Displaced Person had become my reality. I just checked my copy of Displaced Person and I find it interesting that this book has only 138 pages. Such a powerful story. Maurice Saxby said: "It is an extended image of alienation; the mental state when one feels a nobody; the black cloud, the wedge of ice that site close to the heart when one journeys alone. It is also a metaphysical examination of reality and unreality; a speculation ... of what lies beyond the realm of human understanding. It is a tight, tense and gripping story with a poignant and poetic ending."  Read more of the plot here.  

1981 the winner was Playing Beatie Bow by Ruth Park. I wrote about this book recently as my friends and I prepared to enjoy the stage adaption by the Sydney Theatre Company.  Jandy Malone and the Nine O'Clock tiger by Barbara Bolton illustrated by Alan White was Commended. This is a spooky book which I think works well as a read aloud. I was lucky to find a copy at a charity book sale. Read my thoughts here



1982 Rummage by Christobel Mattingley illustrated by Patricia Mullins was Commended. The winner in 1982 was The Valley Between by Colin Thiele. I do hope some school libraries have a copy of Rummage it was a delightful story demonstrating the power of community and the treasures that can be found in jumble sales. Here is my post honouring Christobel Mattingley


1984 When you look at the winners and commended titles from 1984 it is clear there is a need to split the books into the categories of Older Readers and Younger Readers. Robin Klein had three books short listed in 1984. In total Robin Klein had 15 books honoured or on a short list over her career.  Junk Castle which is a book for children aged 8+; Penny Pollard's Diary which also appealed to middle primary readers and People Might Hear you which I would suggest for readers aged 11+. The winner in 1984 was A Little Fear by Patricia Wrightson. I also remember reading Bernice Knows best by Max Dann which was later reissued as an Aussie Bite title. 

1985 The true story of Lili Stubeck by James Aldridge was the winner. And again Robin Klein had two books on the short list - Hating Alison Ashley and Penny Pollard's Letters. I should also mention Something Special by Emily Rodda which was reissued with a very sophisticated cover in 2017. 1985 is the first mention of Emily Rodda but between 1985 and 2019 she had seventeen books either honoured with a prize or on the short list. 

1986 Halfway Across the Galaxy and Turn left by Robin Klein was a short listed title along with a poetry anthology - Apples from Hurricane Street. I do wish Halfway Across the Galaxy and Turn left was still in print - it is a fabulous story, funny, but also poignant. The Oxford Companion to Australian Children's literature says of Robin: "Klein's talents include shrew observation of people and situations, an ability to connect with children outside the mainstream, compassion, and an overriding sense of humour." The winner in 1986 was The Green Wind by Thurley Fowler.



1987 I am happy to mention the honour book Taronga by Victor Kelleher. Take a look at my comments. The winner in 1987 was All we Know by Simon French.


Picture Book of the Year

1980s


1981 Mr Archimedes Bath by Pamela Allen was a commended title. No winner prize was awarded. Reading Mr Archimedes Bath with a young child today will feel just as fresh and fun as it did forty years ago and yes it is still in print. Read more here


1982 Sunshine by Jan Ormerod was the winner and this is very important because Sunshine is a wordless book and as a member of IBBY Australia I am especially interested in these books which IBBY call Silent books. The sequel to Sunshine was Moonlight.  In 1982 one of the short listed books was A Pet for Mrs Arbuckle by Gwenda Smyth illustrated by Ann James and I continued to read this book aloud with classes right up until 2017. I should also mention The Tram to Bondi Beach by Libby Hathorn illustrated by Julie Vivas was Highly Commended in 1982. It is still in print. 


1983 the winner was Who Sank the Boat by Pamela Allen. This is another one of those wonderful picture books that continue to resonate with young children today. Read more here



1984 the Highly commended award went to Possum Magic by Mem Fox illustrated by Julie Vivas. Possum Magic is probably one of the most famous Australian Children's picture books. The winner in 1984 was Bertie and the Bear by Pamela Allen and another book I treasure - The Magic Saddle by Christobel Mattingley illustrated by Patricia Mullins. 


1985 No winner was selected but some very fine books were honoured and short listed including Jeannie Baker's Home in the Sky; The Angel with the Mouth Organ by Christobel Mattingley illustrated by Astra Lacis; Arthur by Amanda Graham illustrated by Donna Gynell; There's a sea in my bedroom by Margaret Wild illustrated by Jane Tanner and one of my all time most favourite books - Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Partridge by Margaret Wild illustrated by Julie Vivas. 

1986 the winner was another book I adore - Felix and Alexander by Terry Denton (yes the Treehouse guy). In my last school we had a big book edition which was perfect for sharing with a group. Read more here. In 1986 we meet the fabulous Bob Graham for the first time with his book First there was Frances. I also need to mention Sebastian lives in a hat by Thelma Catterwell illustrated by Kerry Argent and The Story of Chicken Licken by Jan Ormerod which is another book that should still be in print because it is so very different. Also in 1986 Alison Lester gives readers her wonderful book Clive Eats Alligators

1987 Animalia by Graeme Base is an honour book (millions of copies of this book have been sold around the world) and very recently, I was still reading Murgatroy's Garden by Julie Zavos illustrated by Drahos Zak in my school library. 

1988 the winner was Crusher is coming by Bob Graham and the wonderful book Where the Forest Meets the Sea by Jeannie Baker was a Highly Commended title. 

1989 Three standout titles from 1989 are Mr Nicks Knitting by Margaret Wild illustrated by Dee Huxley; Drac and the Gremlin by Alan Baillie illustrated by Jane Tanner (joint winner); and Edward the Emu by Sheena Knowles illustrated by Rod Clement. 


Younger Readers Book of the Year 

1980s

1982 Christobel Mattingley Rummage Illus. Patricia Mullins 

1983 Robin Klein Thing Illus. Alison Lester

1984 Max Dann Bernice Knows Best Illus. Ann James 

1985 Emily Rodda Something Special Illus. Noela Young 


1986 I included One Night at Lottie's House by Max Dann illustrated by David Pearson in my library program for over 25 years. This book was later reissued as an Aussie Bite title but I much prefer the original illustrations. Another short listed in 1986 which I recommend you try to find is Edward Wilkins and his friend Gwendoline by Barbara Bolton illustrated by Madeline Winch. 

1987 Farmer Schultz's Ducks by Colin Thiele illustrated by Mary Milton was short listed. It interesting to note Colin Thiele first appeared on CBCA lists back in 1962 and he had eleven titles either as winners or short listed in total. Read more about Farmer Schultz's Ducks here


1988 Winner My Place by Nadia Wheatley illustrated by Donna Rawlins. The CBCA judges said this book is: quite simply the most remarkable book entered for the awards this year. (Nadia Wheatley) In 1988 we celebrated the bicentenary and at my country school we were thrilled to have Nadia visit us to talk with one of our Grade Six classes. This was one of the most special things that happened to me as a Teacher-Librarian in the 33 years I spent in that role. 

No comments: