Friday, May 6, 2022

The Black Rabbit by Philippa Leathers


It is a beautiful sunny day. Rabbit steps out and sees a huge black rabbit is following him. He tries running away but that doesn't work. He tries hiding but when he steps out from behind a tree that pesky Black Rabbit is waiting for him. Rabbit runs away again - this time into the deep, dark woods. Oh no - a very real predator is waiting. Rabbit runs again back out of the forest and this time - (spoiler alert) - the Big Black Rabbit somehow saves his life!

"Rabbit smiled and somehow he knew that the Black Rabbit was smiling back. Hand in hand, they bounced off across the field."

Publisher blurb: Rabbit has a problem. There's a large black rabbit chasing him. No matter where he runs--behind a tree, over the river--the shadowy rabbit follows. Finally in the deep, dark wood, Rabbit loses his nemesis--only to encounter a real foe! Kids who like to be in on the secret will revel in this humorous look at shadows and friendship.

Teachers often ask for books that explore shadows. Oddly, while we see shadows everywhere on a sunny day, the concept of shadows and how they form and change is quite a complex one. Using picture books such as the ones you can see in this post are a perfect way to explore this science topic. This book, The Black Rabbit, was first published in 2013 but luckily the paperback edition is still available. Here is the web site for Philippa Leathers.

You are sure to think Peter Pan, but here are some other companion reads:








And here are some more books I would like to explore:











Here are a couple of Non Fiction books to read to younger children about shadows and you could explore the shelves with other books about light [535]:




My Shadow
BY ROBERT LOUIS STEVENSON

I have a little shadow that goes in and out with me,
And what can be the use of him is more than I can see.
He is very, very like me from the heels up to the head;
And I see him jump before me, when I jump into my bed.

The funniest thing about him is the way he likes to grow—
Not at all like proper children, which is always very slow;
For he sometimes shoots up taller like an india-rubber ball,
And he sometimes gets so little that there's none of him at all.

He hasn't got a notion of how children ought to play,
And can only make a fool of me in every sort of way.
He stays so close beside me, he's a coward you can see;
I'd think shame to stick to nursie as that shadow sticks to me!

One morning, very early, before the sun was up,
I rose and found the shining dew on every buttercup;
But my lazy little shadow, like an arrant sleepy-head,
Had stayed at home behind me and was fast asleep in bed.


No comments: