Thursday, October 6, 2022

Poems for the Very Young selected by Michael Rosen illustrated by Bob Graham



Wakey, Wakey anon

Wakey, wakey, rise and shine,

Make your bed,

And then make mine.


In the Rain by Rene Cloke

There is no colour in the rain

It's only water, wet and plain.

It makes damp spots upon my book

And splashes on my new dress, look!

But puddles, in the rainy weather,

Glisten like a peacock's feather. 

Yes this book of poems are for very young children and Bob Graham has added exuberant and joyous illustrations and you will be delighted by the famous poets - Robert Louis Stevenson, Jack Prelutsky, Charles Causley, Eleanor Farjeon, Langston Hughes, Doug MacLeod (Australia), Margaret Mahy, Spike Milligan, AA Milne, John Foster, Duncan Ball (Australia), Max Fatchen (Australia), and of course Michael Rosen himself. 


My friend and I visited a charity book fair today (Lifeline Northern Beaches) and as usual we both came away with a bag of treasures.  I collect books by the wonderful Australian author illustrator Bob Graham. I didn't have this poetry collection and I actually squealed with delight when I saw it at the fair AND it only cost $2! This book was first published in 1993 and my newer edition in 2003. 


"Pore over Bob Graham's witty and life-full pictures, and ... sing, shout, whisper, chant and sigh the words any time of day or night. ... Enjoy!"  Michael Rosen

Blurb: Humorously illustrated by Greenaway award-winner Bob Graham, this collection of more than 100 poems provides an excellent, accessible introduction to poetry, with contributions from many cultures. Skillfully selected by Michael Rosen to catch the ears of young listeners, this collection includes short nonsense verses such as "Today I Saw a Little Worm" and traditional schoolyard rhymes such as "Diddle, Diddle, Dumpling" and "Mary Mack," as well as works by such poets as Shel Silverstein, Eve Merriam, John Agard, Afua Cooper, and Langston Hughes.

Sadly this book is out of print (why oh why) but I am fairly sure it will be found in many school and public libaries. I do hope the copy is still available in my former school library.


1 comment:

kinderbooks said...

You have had a very busy-blogging day!