Thursday, November 30, 2023

Meet the illustrator Sara Acton

 


Sara Acton is an award-winning author and illustrator. Sara grew up in the Cotswolds in England and always loved drawing, especially people and other strange creatures. She studied BA Hons Fine Art and trained as an Art Teacher in London. After teaching and practicing art in England and New Zealand Sara moved with her family to Australia. Her first picture book Ben and Duck won the 2012 Children's Book Council of Australia Crichton Award for new illustrators. 



Sara Acton has generously donated an original art piece for our IBBY Australia Mini Masterpiece art auction and I have my eye set on buying this sweet image but the bidding is hot!


This image comes from Runt (CBCA Younger Readers winner 2023)



Here are some other books illustrated by Sara:





Here is my blog post about Jack's Jumper

















I borrowed a few books illustrated by Sara Acton from the library I visit each week but I have now added her name to my charity book fair shopping list. Her illustrations are so lively and joyous and Sara really knows how to use white space. I am keen to add a few of her books to my own shelves and every young cat lover needs a copy of Poppy Cat. Here are the Scholastic Teachers Notes. Sara Action also has a magical touch with emotion on the faces of her human and animal characters. Her style reminds me of Charlotte Voake and Suzy Lee.




No comments: