Wednesday, August 26, 2026

Home is ... by Hannah Barnaby illustrated by Frann Preston-Gannon


Home is land, home is sky. Home is wet, home is dry.
Home is dark, home is bright. Home is day, home is night.

The text that matches the cover says:

Home is woven, home is dug. Home is roomy, home is snug.

If you are sharing this book with a young child I would read this book slowly and then on a second or third reading take time to talk about the scenes and animals in the illustrations. You might also notice the seasons and changes of time from day to night.

I'm a huge fan of art by Frann Preston-Gannon so when I saw this book in a library I just had to borrow it. This book was published in 2021. I think it might still be available but sadly it is very expensive. Hopefully you will find a copy in your school or local library.

Bookseller blurb: From mountain to sea, meadow to tree, small town to big city, people and animals make their homes all over the world. Some are forever while some change with the seasons, but all are just right for the creatures who live in them. With lyrical rhyming text perfect for reading aloud and evocative jewel-toned illustrations, here is a book that will have young readers thinking about home in a whole new way.




Hannah Barnaby is the author of this chapter book series:


Hannah Barnaby had a new book published earlier this year - I am keen to see this one:




Frann Preston-Gannon is an award-winning illustrator and author based in south London. Her books include The Journey Home, Dave's Cave and I Am the Seed that Grew the Tree, which was named Waterstones Children's Gift of the Year 2018. She has previously been nominated for the Kate Greenaway Medal and shortlisted for the Waterstones Children's Book Prize. She was the first UK recipient of The Sendak Fellowship in 2011, where she was invited to a residency with the master of children's books, Maurice Sendak. I previously talked about her book Bird's Eye View. 




No comments: