Friday, September 4, 2026

Meet the illustrator Clotilde Perrin



Last weekend I visited one of our independent bookstores here in Sydney - The Constant Reader. How lucky are we to have a shop like this - with one whole store just for kids! One of the staff showed me a few of her new discoveries and among them were several books by Clotilde Perrin - we both gushed over the fabulous books available from Gecko Press and talked about how wonderful that they translate books from around the world into English for our readers. (Scroll down on this link to see her Gecko Press titles). The bookseller especially loves the delightfully named book The Kerfuffle. I have added it to my Pinterest of books that feature walls

Here is a quote from Clotilde Perrin's web page: I was born in the Vosges in France. My father made paper by hand, my mother drew. And in this mountain, you can meet wild beasts as well as imaginary beings. The dark fir trees of the Vosges forests have inspired me more than once. I also have fantastic memories of reading Arnold Lobel's "Porculus," John S. Goodall's "Jacko," Roald Dahl's "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory," and Michael Ende's "The Neverending Story." I was also terrified by the monsters of Etienne Delessert and the paintings of Hieronymus Bosch. Thus began my journey into images and the desire to share them.

Clotilde Perrin is an illustrator and author living in Strasbourg, France. She has published over 30 books including the international lift-the-flap bestseller Inside the Villains. Here is her Instagram page.

In this interview with Books for Keeps Clotilde talks about her book The Remarkables

Two of the books that I saw that 'blew my mind' were these although I am not sure they can really be added to a school library - better as gifts for an individual child:


Bookseller blurb: An extraordinary pop-up book that reveals the secrets of the most famous fairy-tale villains-the giant, the wolf and the witch-with interactive flaps, a twist on well-known tales, and personality cards for each villain. Lift the flaps to see the diabolical thoughts inside the villains' heads, what hides beneath their disguises, or the victims of their last meals (now comfortably settled inside their stomachs!). Read all about each villain on their personality card, which shows strengths and weaknesses, pastimes, physical characteristics, their best meal and-of course-their favorite books. And if the wolf bites your fingers while you're reading, you can always pull his tail... 

Read the Kirkus Star review. This book is huge/tall - you might get a shock when you see it. 



Bookseller blurb: Are you lost? Come in! You’re in luck there’s no one here just now Shhh… Be as quiet as you can, and very, very careful! In The House of Madame M, we explore a strange house: hallway, living room, kitchen, bathroom and bedroom. Each room is full of surprises to make even the bravest shiver. Are we in the house of an ogre? A witch? Something else altogether? This visit to Madame M’s brings the thrill of finding what lurks in the wardrobe, behind the door, tucked under the furniture. Full of humour and detail, it will mesmerise readers of all ages. This book has 25 flaps, pull tabs and other secrets hide jokes and spine-shivering surprises.


I haven't talked about this book here but I have seen this one from 2014:




Here is a partial book list of titles by Clotilde Perrin (Note some may only be available in French). You can see all the titles here:

Heart of a Witch (November 2026)
Blades of grass (August 2025)
The confusion (April 2025)
Such cute ogrillons (November 2023)
The Remarkables or the most amazing children I have met (October 2023)
Ha! In a monstrous game of hide-and-seek (October 2021)
Inside the suitcase (October 2020)
Madame M’s House (October 2019)
Hurry, hurry, hurry! (October 2019)

No comments: