Friday, March 29, 2019

CBCA Short lists announced



On Tuesday the CBCA announced the short listed books in each of their categories.  Once again I was wrong!  I tried to read all of the Younger Readers notables. I did manage to read 13 of the 20.

Book of the Year Younger Readers  Here are three I talked about previously



 The other three are:


  • Leave Taking by Lorraine Marwood
  • Black Cockatoo by Carl Merrison and Hakea Hustler
  • The Slightly Alarming tale of the Whispering Wars by Jaclyn Moriarty


More about each of these soon. I was sad to see Shine Mountain and Ottilie Colter and the Narroway Hunt did not make the cut. I recommend you read these. Sometimes we get so caught up in the short list other titles can 'disappear.



Book of the Year Early Childhood

I only picked one of the six in this category!

Here is one I talked about earlier:


I was sad A Boat of Stars did not make the cut. I do hope teachers and teacher-librarians still reach out for this terrific poetry book.  I also had high hopes for Beware the Deep Dark Forest.

The other five titles are:


  • Heads and Tails: Insects by John Canty
  • The Dress up box by Patrick Guest
  • Noni the pony rescues a joey by Alison Lester
  • Tricky's bad day by Alison Lester
  • Here comes Stinkbug! by Tohby Riddle (more about this one soon as Tohby is speaking at our IBBY Australia International Children's Book Day event next weekend)


One more book to mention which MUST be a winner - Lenny's Book of Everything by Karen Foxlee. It is in the Book of the Year Older Readers category.




1 comment:

john cahill said...

Loved it. I loved the Author's use of a simple metaphor or simile throughout the book. That bit about morse code was a ripper, you could see it happening.