Wednesday, February 27, 2019

CBCA Notables 2019 Younger Readers



Huge thanks to Beachside Bookshop. Their generosity means I have read (and blogged) many of the twenty titles.  Colour highlighting on the title takes you to my review and colour on the author links you to their other titles.

Fearless Frederic by Felice Arena
The Tales of Mr Walter by Jess Black illustrated by Sara Acton



Brindabella by Ursula Dubosarsky illustrated by Andrew Joyner
Help around the house by Morris Gleitzman
Sweet Adversity by Sheryl Gwyther



Shine Mountain by Julie Hunt
Fairytales for Feisty girls by Susannah McFarlane



Black Cockatoo by Carl Merrison and Hakea Hustler
The Young Vikings by James Moloney
The slightly Alarming tale of the Whispering Wars by Jaclyn Moriarty
The girl, the dog and the writer in Provence by Katrina Nannestad




The Peacock Detectives by Carly Nugent
Swallow's Dance by Wendy Orr
The adventures of Catvinkle by Elliot Perlman illustrated by Laura Stilzel
His name was Walter by Emily Rodda



Everything I've never said by Samantha Wheeler
Taking Leave by Lorraine Marwood (verse novel)
Ottilie Colter and the Narroway Hunt by Rhiannon Williams



In the lamplight by Dianne Wolfer
The dog with Seven names by Dianne Wolfer



I already have The Swallow's Dance and The Slightly Alarming tale of the Whispering Wars on my to read pile. I am excited to read Brindabella by the wonderful Ursula Dubosarsky and Shine Mountain by Julie Hunt who designed our IBBY International Children's Book Day flyer.

In just four weeks the CBCA will announce the short list - six of these notable titles which are in the running to receive the award - Book of the Year Younger Readers. The title on this list that excites me the most is Ottilie Colter and the Narroway Hunt. I do hope this one gains a place on the short list. In my next posts I will talk about the Picture Book of the Year Notables and the Early Childhood Notables. Just as a sneak preview I was so very excited to see A Boat of Stars on Early Childhood list. How wonderful that the judges included a poetry book!

How did I go with my earlier predictions? In this category I was right with my prediction of The Tales of Mr Walker and His Name was Walter by Emily Rodda.  I also correctly predicted the judges would adore Lenny's Book of Everything. It has been placed in the Older Readers Notables category. Where did I go wrong?  I thought Just a Girl by Jackie French would make the Older Readers list along with The Mulberry Tree by Allison Rushby which I thought would make the Younger Readers selection.

2 comments:

Hakea said...

I'm so excited to read the other books on the CBCA list!
... secretly hoping your predictions are wrong ;P

Hakea... one of the co-authors of Black Cockatoo

Sheryl Gwyther said...

Hi Momo, very pleased to have found your blog. :) And thank you for including Sweet Adversity's image on your Younger Readers Notables too. I'm totally thrilled to have my historical adventure (set in the Great Depression) on the Notables list.