Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Bamboozled by David Legge


Tuesday Treasure





The first thing to notice about this book is found on the back of the title page:

"The illustrations in this book were painted in watercolours." (They are not done with a computer!)

Now flip the pages slowly and marvel at the art, the details, the fun, the utterly brilliant ideas.

"I love my grandad. I visit him every week. And every week things are the same. But last week when I arrived, everything seemed odd."

Odd things abound in this visual delight.  Can you see the lounge on the front cover which is made to link with grandad's portrait on the wall? Take a look at these images and see what you can 'spot'.









My favourite page is when the little girl plants some bulbs in a garden bed.  Lots of things are upside down, there are so many vases, amazing clocks, watering cans and the crazy flooring. I wonder if the sophomore flags say something?

One more thing - flip over to the back cover for another surprise.

The bright, detailed watercolour illustrations reveal more on each rereading. AussieReviews

Bamboozled was first published in 1994 and was a CBCA short listed titled in 1995.

I picked up my copy at a charity book sale last week. I will add it to my collection of over 90 Australian children's picture books which included in special lucky dip bags for people attending the IBBY Australia International Children's Book Day event in April, 2020.


No comments: