Thursday, February 6, 2020

White Bird by RJ Palacio



White Bird is a YA Graphic Novel that needs to be in every High School library.  I think it best suits readers aged 12++.  I wanted to read White Bird because I have read some excellent reviews and I was concerned when I saw it included in the collection of a local primary school.  Here are some quotes. Click these to read more about the plot of White Bird.

Kirkus Star: A must-read graphic novel that is both heart-rending and beautifully hopeful.

Jewish Book CouncilThrough­out the book, line and col­or of vary­ing inten­si­ty match with words rang­ing from poet­ic to mun­dane, pro­duc­ing a qui­et­ly stun­ning impact.

Kids Books Daily: The story, and the perfect melding of illustration and text, invites slow and thoughtful reading and this is certainly not a book one should rush.

I was interested to read one critical review from the New York Times

My main reasons for this post are - yes this is a splendid book but -  in my view it is best suited to a high school library and not a primary school. Of course you will find the Wonder books there and I know they are popular.




For a Grade 5 or 6 student who is interested in the way children and adults had to hide and rely on the kindness of strangers during the holocaust these two books are perfect.



No comments: