Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Notable Books CBCA - my predictions

 



In exactly one week, as I write this post, the CBCA will announce the Notable books for 2021. There are five categories and twelve books will be selected in each category. In April the short list of six titles will be announced and then in August the winners are announced.

Each year I like to make my predictions (mostly I am wrong) but it is fun to review the previous year of reading. I am not going to list 12 books for each category I will just list the titles I hope make 'the cut' and I will only list titles I have actually talked about here on momotimetoread. I am looking forward to discovering some surprises on the Notable lists and then of course discovering more books I need to add to my expansive 'to read' list. My friend at Kinderbookswitheverything and I have created a Pinterest of all the picture books published in 2020. If you take a look you are sure to see some other favourite books you enjoyed in 2020.  Fingers crossed for these books:

Early Childhood Picture Book of the Year

Duck, Apple, Egg by Glenda Millard illustrated by Martina Heiduczek

Ellie's Dragon by Bob Graham

Scary Bird by Michel Streich

I saw Pete and Pete saw me by Maggie Hutchins illustrated by Evie Barrow

Extraordinary by Penny Harrison illustrated by Katie Wilson

Sometimes Cake by Edwina Wyatt illustrated by Tamsin Ainslie


Younger Readers

Across the Risen Sea by Bren McDibble

Zoe Max and the Bicycle Bus by Steven Herrick

We are wolves by Katrina Nannestad

Worse Things by Sally Murphy illustrated by Sarah Davis

Eloise and the Bucket of Stars by Janeen Brian

Bindi by Kirli Saunders illustrated by Dub Leffler

Aster's right good things by Kate Gordon

Catch me if I fall by Barry Jonsberg (might be on the Older readers list)

Pierre's not there by Ursula Dubosarsky

The Book of Chance by Sue Whiting

Her Perilous Mansion by Sean Williams

The secret library of Hummingbird House by Julianne Negri

The Threads of Magic by Alison Crogan


Picture Book of the Year

How to make a bird by Meg McKinlay illustrated by Matt Ottley

A boy and a ball by Phil Cummings illustrated by Phil Lesnie

Anisa's Alphabet by Mike Dumbleton illustrated by Hannah Sommerville

Finding Francois by Gus Gordon

The Biscuit Maker by Sue Lawson  illustrated by Liz Anelli

Heart and Soul by Carol Ann Martin illustrated by Tull Suwannakit



2 comments:

Jennie Bales said...

Hi there
love your predictions for 2021. Did you know that Katrina Nannestad is talking tonight.
https://booklinks.org.au/whats-on/bookings/
Jennie

Momo said...

Sad to have missed your event. We had an IBBY meeting tonight. I do love Katrina's writing and I am in awe of the way each of her books are so different from one another. I often think about The Girl who bought Mischief. I loved the scene when the goat ate her hair plait.