Tuesday, February 16, 2021

The Star Outside my Window by Onjali Q Rauf

 



Anyiah and her brother Noah have moved into foster care. Onjali Q Rauf gives her reader a fragment of information that hints at bigger issues:

"We've been here for two days, and even though the house is much nicer than the last one we had to hide in I'm not sure I like it here."

"I never knew what a foster mum was until two night ago. I had a real mum until then, so I guess I never needed to know."

The children have moved in with Mrs Iwuchukwu. There are three other kids already in her house. She is a wonderful and very wise woman but it will take a lot of time for Aniyah to trust her. Part of this trust comes from the need to understand the strange rules of this house - rules that are so very different from the ones set by her dad. Perhaps she no longer has to be afraid. 

The  biggest comfort to Aniyah comes from the stars. She knows her mother is gone now but Aniyah is certain her mother is now a star. Her mum has told her "ordinary people who had extra bright hearts sometimes went on to become the biggest stars in the sky..."

Aniyah is a star hunter. On the television she sees a news bulletin that a new star is heading towards the earth. The astronomers at the observatory have set a competition to name the star. Aniyah knows exactly the right name for this star because she is certain this star is her mum. Now the race is on. The group of kids have to travel over 73 miles to London (by bicycle) and they only have 51 hours to make sure the star gets the right name.

This deeply moving narrative tackles the lasting traumatic impact of abuse on children and the troubling ways society denies victims’ experiences until it’s too late. Kirkus Star review

Once again this author has given us a warm, funny and poignant read, with a thought provoking serious side, which is perfectly judged and accessible for its audience. Love Reading 4 Kids

I have a huge pile of Middle Grade novels on my 'to read' pile. Oddly, I accidentally bought two copies of The Star outside my window so I picked this one up today because I plan to give my extra copy to a friend early next week and naturally I needed to read it first. I started to read this book at 4pm and finished it at 6pm. Yes it is that good.

Onjali Q Rauf talks about her book and her experiences taking supplies to women and children who find themselves in women's shelters hiding from the men who have abused them. This is the third book I have read (and loved) by Onjali Q Rauf. She is able to tackle very complex issues in a sensitive way and in a way that is appropriate for readers aged 10+.





I would follow The Star outside my Window with these:











No comments: