Saturday, May 8, 2021

Hush, Little Baby illustrated by Shari Halpern

I mentioned Shari Halpern yesterday. Now I have her collage illustrated version of the nursery rhyme lullaby:

Hush, little baby, don't say a word,

Mama's going to buy you a mockingbird.

And if that mockingbird won't sing,

Mama's going to buy you ...

A diamond ring; a looking glass; a billy goat; a cart and bull; a dog named Rover; and a horse and cart.

This book was first published in 1997 but it has been reissued as a board book and even though in this format it is expensive here in Australia I think this book would make a beautiful present for a new baby.


The end papers of this book contain a quilt of tiny collages. These are then featured as a border on each page. You can see the carrots and horse shoes above. If I had a new baby I would buy two copies of this book and (I know this sounds slightly wrong or illegal but) I would cut up one copy and frame the illustrations to decorate a nursery. 





No comments: