Sunday, May 23, 2021

Nightingale's Nest by Nikki Loftin




John Fischer junior is known as Little John. His family are suffering. Ten months ago Little John's younger sister Raelynn has been accidentally killed. Little John blames himself for this horrific tragedy but so does his father and his mother has withdrawn into a world of mental turmoil. The family were struggling for money prior to the accident but things have now become much worse. They have been forced to sell things to raise money for the funeral and Little John's father is drinking away any money he makes felling trees. It is the summer and Little John now works with his dad. The local, rich, store owner  nicked named The Emperor, has employed them to clear and prune some old pecan trees. On their first day working in the summer heat Little John hears Gayle. She has a nightingale voice:

"The notes were high and liquid, a honey-soft river of sound that seeped right through me. ... The song sailed over the fence, like it was meant for me alone. No words to it. It was pure melody."

"That's when I realised the singer was a person. A little girl. She was plain, with brown hair the same colour as mine. But hers was ratted around her face like she'd never seen a brush, and she had dirt smeared on her cheeks and nose. Too thin, I thought, as she climbed over the edge of the bundled mess of sticks and out onto the branch to see me better."

Gayle is a foster child. She is living with Mrs Cutlin and her son Jeb. They are so horrid to this tiny child and there is frequent violence. Little John is worried about Gayle but there is another threat. The Emperor (Mr King) has heard Gayle sing. Her voice is exquisite. He wants this voice for his collection. The taking of her voice is far more sinister than just making a recording. The money ($500) offered by Mr King is actually 'blood money' but what should Little John do? He has made promises to his tiny fragile friend Gayle but he also need to think about his family.

Breathtaking; powerful; disturbing; mesmerising; raw; and tender - these are some words I would use to describe Nightingale's nest by Nikki Loftin. I started this book last night and finished it today. This is another of those books that you simply cannot put down but I do need to say there is some terrible violence to endure and so I would say this book is for very mature readers aged 11+. Read some background to this story on the blog Nerdy Book Club.

I held by breath when I clicked on the reviews for Nightingale's nest. When I adore a book as much as I adored this one, when a book moves me as deeply as this book moved me, I would have been so crushed if reviewers that I respect did not echo my reading experience. I am happy to say nearly every reviewer I have read loved this book. I don't usually quote reviewers from Goodreads but I am also going to put a few quotes here just to show the range of opinions.

School Library Journal : Smart and beautiful by turns, The Nightingale’s Nest does one thing that few will contest. Once you’ve read it, you’ll have a hard time getting it out of your head. Elizabeth Bird

Kirkus Star review: Unusual, finely crafted story of loss, betrayal and healing.

Nightingale’s Nest also thoughtfully reflects on poverty, power, gender dynamics and the question of masculinity as well as the desperate, bitter choices good people are moved to make when living under pressure. But it’s also about second chances, making amends and righting wrongs. The Book Smugglers

Goodreads comment 5 stars: "Thoughtful tween readers who enjoy a powerful story with a bittersweet ending will want to pick this one up. It’s a rare and beautiful treasure, lightly brushed with magic."  Shanshad Whelan

Goodreads comments 2 stars: "The plot is driven by something you know is going to happen, even though it seems so unlikely." Destinee Sutton

Here are some companion reads:






After reading Nightingale's Nest you are sure to want to revisit the Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale:



No comments: