Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Junonia by Kevin Henkes




I first talked about Junonia here on this blog in 2011. I suggest you begin with my previous post. On a recent visit to Gleebooks in Sydney I spied this book on their shelves. I really cannot list my top ten or even most favourite book but Junonia is a book I do think about from time to time and it is certainly a firm favourite so I decided (since I had left my beloved copy behind in my former school library) that I should buy a copy for myself. You probably already know I am a huge fan of Kevin Henkes

This morning I sat down and re-read the whole book again - I think this might be the third time I have read Junonia. Then I re-read my blog post and I was surprised by my own writing - well done to me!

Here are a few text quotes:

"Alice concentrated entirely on the pelican. The bird was so odd and silly looking, a mysterious, mesmerising wonder. ... She'd seen pelicans before, every year that she had been here, but when you see something only once a year it's always new, as if you're seeing it for the first time."

"Alice had a pale, watchful face. She had straight brown hair and brown eyes and a brown spot the size and shape of an apple seed near the corner of her mouth. The spot was a mole, but Alice hated the word mole and referred to as a speck. She hated the speck ... "

"When Alice's father unlocked the door to the pink cottage and Alice stepped inside, she brightened up instantly. Sunlight streamed through the windows. The walls of the main room and each smaller room were panelled with honey-coloured wood, once highly polished ... Alice felt as if she were entering an enchanted house from a fairy tale ... All  of the cottages were named for seashells. Alice's cottage was name Scallop. ... 'Hello, Scallop,' said Alice, twirling around. 'It's so good to see you again."

Junonia was first published in 2011. As I said, I purchased my copy a couple of weeks ago. Have you ever noticed book shop price stickers often have a date? My copy of Junonia was added to the shop inventory in December, 2020. I only paid $15 which was terrific. If this book is difficult to find in a shop perhaps it will be in your school or local library or perhaps you can borrow an ebook version. I do highly recommend Junonia for sensitive readers aged 9+. 

Kevin Henkes has created a character in Alice who deftly balances the line between girlhood and early adolescence. Her voice is authentic, and her worries, fears, and disappointments are spot-on. James Patterson

Henkes understands childhood disappointment in a way that really resonated with me, and I think Alice's perspective matches that of many real children whose lives are also changing as they move closer to adolescence. Read at Home Mom

An only child surrounded by affection, routine and attention, Alice has the space to realise that life can be an adventure experienced independently, even while held closely by those one loves. Kirkus Star review

Australian readers might need a map to understand where Alice lives (Wisconsin) and where they holiday each year in February (Florida).


Here are some of the shells mentioned in this book including the wonderful but elusive junonia.





I would follow Junonia with these:







Check out other Kevin Henkes books on this blog by typing his name in my search bar.

No comments: