Wednesday, May 8, 2024

If I had a little dream by Nina Laden illustrated by Melissa Castrillon


"If I had a little house,
I would name it Love.
Love would make me happy
and protect me like a glove. ...

If I had a little pond,
I would name it Wonder.
Wonder would show me beauty
above the water and under."

You might like to read my previous post about picture books that contain poems, or philosophical musing. If I had a little dream perfectly fits this category. It is a lyrical book with scrumptious illustrations and it would be a comforting book to share during a quiet reading time with your young reading companion but you do need to know there is no actual narrative in this book. It is just a series of thoughts or dreams or musings. It could be a lovely gift for a new child or as a Christening present. If you read this book to a class of older students the form of each page/poem could be used as a writing stimulus.

If I had a little land; If I had a little house; If I had a little garden; If I had a little pond; If I had a little boat; If I had a little bicycle; If I had a little table; If I had a little chair; If I had a little dog; If I had a little cat; If I had a little brother; If I had a little sister; If I had a little book; If I had a little bed; and finally the last page matched the title - If I had a little dream.



Jacket flap: Celebrate the wonder of the world in this reassuring picture book about the joy, love, and beauty that is part of each and every day. Our world is full of possibilities if you look for them.

Some people (reviewers) are lucky and are sent advance copies of new books - this rarely happens to me but I am lucky because twice each year our local Lifeline hold a charity book sale and I always find so many book treasures - many for gifts and some to keep.

If I had a Little Dream (2017) is listed as AUS$30 on an online bookseller site - my copy was AUS$4 from the sale and it is in mint condition, with an intact dust jacket which, when lifted, reveals a different cover image - I am a huge fan of this. Now I have to decide will I keep this book on my own bulging shelves or gift it to a family.

You can see more books by Nina Laden here. You could use this video with your library group (I would turn off the sound and read it yourself). 

Within the art’s parameters, each page turn produces a fresh look in terms of layout, negative space, and appealing, eye-catching details. The overarching sentiments are love and gentleness, and the verse and artwork complement each other as they lull a child into sleepiness. ... Easy on the eyes and ears; excellent for bedtime. Kirkus

I picked up this book because I have seen other books illustrated by Melissa Castrillon and I do really love her art style. Melissa Castrillon is an and English and Colombian illustrator based in the southeast of England. She spends a large chunk of her days illustrating and writing picture books for children as well illustrating and designing book covers for readers of all ages. She has illustrated more than ten picture books, written three and they have been translated into more than 20 languages around the world.

Her newest book published earlier this year is Love is my favourite Colour (Color for US readers).










No comments: