Thursday, May 9, 2024

Meet Gabriel Evans


I will be meeting Gabriel Evans (as Bluey would say - in real life!) on Saturday. I am usually quite shy at author/illustrator events (many years ago at the Sydney Writers Festival I really wanted to say thank you to Kate DiCamillo but sadly didn't; I did stammer something to Sophie Blackall at a Gleebooks event but not very coherently) so I hope I have the courage to actually say hello to Gabriel Evans


He is coming to Sydney from Perth to share his newest book:


IBBY Australia were so thrilled to have a piece of art from Gabriel for our Mini Masterpiece art auction last year. And this year A friend for George was shortlisted for our Ena Noël award

Here is an interview with Oz Lit Teacher. And a video interview from 2022 (11 Minutes). He mentions Isabelle Arsenault

Here are some books I have previously talked about:









You can follow Gabriel Evans on Facebook. That's where I first saw these sweet looking mice stories or perhaps it was on his Instagram page


These were written many years ago in 2014/15- I would love to see them. Take a look here

Interesting facts about Gabriel that I found on his webpage:

  • I love growing oak trees – I’ve planted over fifteen varieties on our hill.
  • I love drinking coffee from a Cornishware mug. These mugs have white and blue stripes and often make an appearance in my books.
  • I spent several years illustrating before I wrote my first picture book, Ollie and Augustus.
  • My books have been published in fifteen countries, shortlisted in several national awards including the CBCA Picture book of the Year, read on ABC’s Play School and reviewed in the New York Times.



I loved the first book in the series by Tor Seidler (A Rat's Tale).







Here are a couple of sweet images from Gabriel Evans - they make me sigh with happiness. Look at his page of thoughts and sketches. And look at his gallery here. 





Image source: Reddit



No comments: