Monday, July 1, 2024

I am Rebel by Ross Montgomery



"I feel fear like a pair of paws pressed against my chest, pushing me back. I've never been through the front gate before. Everything I've ever needed has always been right here, right where I belong. 
Top Field, Bottom Field, the farmyard, the house, Tom's bed ..."

"But I started this journey to bring Tom home, no matter what. 
And if I have to brave the wilderness to do that, then so be it. 
I'm his dog, and he's my boy. I know he'd do the same for me."

Rebel has a perfect life on the farm with Tom and his parents. Every day is filled with delicious bacon and time spent with Tom up in the high fields as they watch the sheep. Tom loves to draw, and Rebel enjoys seeing himself in these pictures - especially pictures of a distant castle showing Tom and Rebel standing high on the battlements with a different flag - a flag of the Reds or the rebels! The setting or time for this book is Feudal England and the King is collecting unfair taxes from his subjects who are poor farmers and villagers. These taxes keep getting higher and higher, people are desperately struggling. The King has armed and dangerous guardsmen who brutally enforce his rules. Rebel observes them at work:

"I sense right away that they're dangerous. ... They both smell mean, and wrong, and bad. I know what guns to do. ... I can smell the menace thrumming form him like hot iron. I'm terrified but I have to be brave. I have to protect Tom!"

Tom is only twelve but he looks older. He is desperate to join the rebellion. And then late one evening he meets a man named Rider. Tom lies about his age and he accepts an invitation to join the Reds. BUT he tells Rebel to stay home. No, no, no. Rebel loves his Tom. He has to follow and keep him safe and so the journey begins. There is danger, new friends, heroism, wild weather, injury, danger, betrayal, and a long journey but it will all be worthwhile IF Rebel can find Tom and hopefully bring him back to the farm where he belongs. By the way have you worked out Rebel is a dog and he is telling this story.

There are some terrific and memorable animal characters in this story - Jaxon the wild dog, Felix the mouse, Pearl the old donkey and Seamus the pig. The relationship between Jaxon and Rebel is especially interesting as these two very different dogs learn to understand and trust each other. 

Your heart race will no doubt increase at some particular moments (some water and clifftop moments are particularly hairy!) and have some tissues close by but I’m sure you’ll love I Am Rebel just as much as me. Like Ross’ other stories, it’s a perfect class read aloud and so much to discuss with your pupils (e.g. that recognition that the world is changing and it’s important to find your purpose). Definitely one of my favourite books of 2024! Check 'em out Books

The vivid and believable animal and human characters keep the reader really invested in their survival through some narrow escapes and genuine peril. Rebel can teach us all about resilience and bravery and the power of love and loyalty in this really satisfying and enjoyable read. Love Reading 4Kids

The publisher (Walker Books UK) sent this book to various 'famous' authors and here are their comments:

  • “A fantastic quest novel that sits between Charlotte’s Web and War Horse. Rebel’s voice is true and clear: he is the best of dogs and this is the best of books.” Phil Earle
  • “An instant classic. Outstanding writing and a richly adventurous story – Montgomery has reached a whole new level.” Katya Balen
  • “A terrific tail! A tail-thumping, tongue-lolling treat full of adventure, humour and heart.” Ross Welford
  • “A beautiful, heartfelt adventure.” Sophie Anderson
  • “I Am Rebel both broke my heart and made it sing. This book is as close to perfect as it’s possible to get.” Natasha Farrant
  • “The goodest story about the goodest boy. I love Rebel like my own dog.” Carlie Sorosiak

I do enjoy stories about dogs and their love of their human friend. I think this goes back to my reading, aged about 10, of The Incredible Journey. I also enjoy these books when they are told from the point of view of a dog. I highly recommend I am Rebel for readers aged 10+. 

Have you seen those posters that say "if you enjoyed this ... then try this"?  Here is one I have made to go with Rebel. You can read about all of these by popping the title into my search bar (except Fire Bed and Bone published in 1997 which is the book that most closely matches I am Rebel).


The cover for this book is perfect and very striking - it is by Keith Robinson

I previously talked about this book by Ross Montgomery:




No comments: