Friday, August 28, 2026

Change the World before Bedtime by Mark Kimball Moulton, Josh Chambers and Karen Good



Summary: A call to arms for social justice, this story’s inspirational message, multicultural ethos, practical approach, accessibility for the junior classes and simple, engaging rhyme persuasively show how small actions (such as a smile, a kind word, a simple deed) by everyone can help change the world. Each page of this book allows for learning and discussion about aspects of an ethical life, recycling, visiting old and sick people, farmers’ markets, planting trees, ...  But the central message that our actions make a difference can build both responsibility and self-belief in children. 50 Picture Books to Change the World

This book was published in 2012 so it is out of print but you might find it in a library as I did. The title caught my attention and then when I looked inside each page was filled with vibrant and very appealing collage art. I am not a fan of rhyme in picture books unless it is done really well - so I pleased to see it really does work in this book:

"Change the world before bedtime. It's easy. You'll see. Sharing a part of your heart is the key. So leap out of bed. Cape on. Let's show our true colour before the day's gone."



You could use this book with a preschool group or classes up to Grade Two and perhaps share one double page spread each day as a discussion starter. 

I haven't found much information about the illustrator who I think is Mark Kimball Moulton - the cover just lists three names with no indication of their roles. He has a few books listed on Goodreads but then I also found books illustrated by Karen Hillard Good which look similar to the art in Change the World before Bedtime. A second edition of this book was published in 2018 [9780764355813]: The updated second edition includes eight additional pages packed with interactive activities that encourage creativity and empower children to unleash their superhero potential. From a space to draw their self-portrait, to a make-your-own superhero cape activity, young readers can fully immerse themselves in the world of superheroes and express their unique identities.

No comments: