Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Mr Putter and Tabby fly the plane by Cynthia Rylant

I am so excited when I find a very simple junior book for beginning readers with a marvelous story. It does not happen very often but here is one I read about in Horn Book. There are about 18 different books about Mr Putter and we have just begun to collect them for our library.

In this one Mr Putter and Tabby fly the plane we learn that Mr Putter loves toys (so do I) and he especially loves to visit toy shops (so do I) and when he was a boy he was fascinated by toy planes especially remote control ones (me too!).

Mr Putter finds the exact plane of his childhood dreams, he buys it, flys it and along the way acquires a heap of new young friends. The most special part of this book comes right at the end.

One little shy outsider child loves this plane. Mr Putter recognises something of himself in this little boy. Look for Mr Putter in our school library. These books are perfect for our youngest students who are just beginning to gain confidence with reading.

No comments: