Wednesday, February 28, 2018

CBCA Notables Part 3 - which books made the list?



Last night the 2018 Notables were announced. There are lots of great books here to read but it will be a bit of a rush to get through "all of" them before the short list is announced. We have so much talent here in Australia and the Notables are a great way to showcase so many books some of which may have slipped into a school library unnoticed.


  • 25 Young Adult titles in the Older Readers Category
  • 37 titles in the Younger Readers Category
  • 45 Picture books in the Early Childhood Category
  • 48 Picture books in the Picture Book of the Year Category
  • 18 titles in the Eve Pownall section for Non Fiction


I was happy to see quite a few of the titles I mentioned previously made 'the cut' in the Younger Readers section especially How to Bee by Bren MacDibble and The Shop at Hoopers Bend by Emily Rodda.  In fact I cheered and startled the people standing near me!  I had forgotten about Too Many Friends so I was happy to see it listed too.  By coincidence  this week I read another amazing book by Kathryn Apel - Bully on the Bus. I have also talked about Trouble at home on this blog so now I need to pick up Trouble and the new Kid.

This morning I visited my local public library picked up four more titles from this section so over the coming days I hope to talk about :

The cursed first term of Zelda Stitch
The Secrets we Share - I did enjoy the first installment The secrets we Keep.
Pip and Houdini - I did enjoy the first installment Run, Pip, Run
Tarin of the Mammoths - The Exile

I took some time to look at some of the Picture book of the Year titles last night at the CBCA event (Dymocks only had a small selection) and I do like the look of What's up top by Marc Martin, The sleeping Beauty retold by Gebriela Tylesova  (exquisite illustrations) and Whatcha building by Andrew Daddo.  I talked about Tales from a Tall Forest on this blog a few weeks ago.  It is not quite a picture book but I guess this might be the best place to categorise it.

Finally I was so excited to see Tamsin Janu has two titles on the Notables list.  She will be speaking at an IBBY Event in Sydney in a few weeks so it will be great to congratulate her in person.




No comments: