Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Choosing Crumble by Michael Rosen illustrated by Tony Ross

Last month I was lucky enough to visit one of the best children's bookshops  - The Norfolk Children's Book Centre. As usual when I am in a shop like this my mind goes to mush. Where will I start? What will I buy?  I headed to the junior novels first because these are a passion of mine.  I love finding satisfying stories that our youngest readers can enjoy.

I did not worry about the publication date I just picked up four titles based on my usual criteria - cover, author and blurb. Below you can see my selection which included Choosing Crumble. (I have already talked about Ice Palace)



Choosing Crumble is a winner! Michael Rosen and Tony Ross are such giants of the children's literature world I just knew this book would be good but I didn't anticipate it would be THIS GOOD. In just 75 illustrated pages we are presented with a simply delightful story. Terri-Lee and her mum visit a pet shop ready to buy a dog. They expect to asked some questions but they don't expect the dog to ask them!


  • How old are you? (Terri-Lee)
  • Have you had a dog before?
  • Where will I sleep?
  • Do you run very fast?
  • Can we sort out how you tell me what to do?
  • Will you take me to the doctor?
  • Tell me about the noise in your house?


The interview covers all these topics, Terri-Lee and her mum do their best to provide the right answers and finally, thank goodness, Crumble agrees Terri-Lee and her mum can take him home even though Crumble (full name Apple Crumble) has some very firm ideas about life with the new family.

"I think we need to sort something out right away. ... when I'm in my basket, I'm in my basket and that's it. Me, the basket. The basket, me. I don't want little fingers coming in there and tickling me, OK? ... But I'm fine with being tickled at other times. ... I quite like it."

There are four books in this series - Don't Forget Tiggs!, Bilal's Brilliant Bee and Barking for Bagels. I picked this last one up in a public library today so watch this space.

You can read more about Choosing Crumble at The Bookbag and you can look inside here. I would pair Choosing Crumble with picture books such as Let's get a Pup! by Bob Graham, Mutt Dog by Stephen Michael King and Our Very own Dog by Amanda McCardie. If you want to follow Choosing Crumble with a chapter book or two look at my review of Invisible Dog by Dick King Smith.





No comments: