Sunday, July 29, 2018

A letter for Leo by Sergio Ruzzier

Step One
Read The Lion and the Bird
Step Two 
Read A Letter for Leo



Here is a perfect pair of books.

I do enjoy books about friendship and the postal service also holds a fascination for me. The Jolly Postman is one of my most treasured books. When I was in London recently I thoroughly enjoyed my visit to the Postal Museum - a terrific place to take young children with heaps of hands on activities.



Leo is the mailman, he does a good job, he works hard, he has friends among his customers but sadly "he has never received a letter himself."

Then one day he finds a baby bird inside the official red postbox. He names the little bird Cheep. When spring comes Cheep needs to fly away but surely this cannot be the end of such a special friendship.

Read more plot details here.

Other books about posting/writing letters (and friendship) are:

Little Big Feet by Dieter and Ingrid Schubert
Letters from Felix by Annette Langen
Toot and Puddle Wish you were here by Holly Hobbie
Herman's letter by Tom Percival
The giant hug by Sandra Horning
Dear Fairy Godmother by Michael Rosen
Please write back by Jennifer E Morris
Stories from Squeak Street by Emily Rodda (Listen to an audio sample)

I was not familiar with Sergio Ruzzier but looking at his website there are many books here I would love to explore.



This is a lovely story about connection and all that it implies, told with concision, reticence, and just the right balance of bitter and sweet. Publishers Weekly

No comments: