Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Our Kid by Tony Ross

"Go straightly to school Our Kid. Don't be late again.
So I shoffled my homework into my bag and took the short cut."



Taking the shortcut is a big mistake. Our Kid is indeed late for school and he loses his homework too.
He tries to explain the series of events that happened on his way to school including the pirates who take his school bag but of course he is not believed and is sent to the naughty corner.

This book is filled with delightful invented and onomatopoetic words:
You have to dunkle your hooves in the water.
I rode on the deck and off be bumpeeded down the road.
These were dinopirates, so some were squiddly, but others were felumpingly big.
I cried, as the pirates sniggled and bounded away.


I do enjoy a tall tale. Books like On the Way Home by Jill Murphy and John Patrick Norman McHennesy the boy who was always late by John Burningham are firm favourites and now I have Our Kid by Tony Ross. Read the Kirkus review. This is a book you must share with a child there is so much to enjoy including the great title - Our Kid (he is a goat!)


No comments: