Friday, November 15, 2019

If I built a house by Chris van Dusen

My house will be nifty! My house will be neat!
My house will stand out as the best on the street!



If I built a house is the perfect book for budding architects and also for fans of the popular Andy Griffiths and Terry Denton series which begins with the 13 Story Treehouse.



Jack builds the house of his dreams. Yes there are the regular (albeit amazing) rooms such as a kitchen, living room and bathroom but there are also utterly fantastical rooms such as an art room with a giant spool of paper for 1,000,000 drawings, a flying room with no gravity, a racetrack room and a wonderful underwater room.

I have two favourite parts in this book. One is the wonderful blue print end papers - front and back are different. The other thing I love is the little black dog. When you pick up this book (which has just been released in paperback) try to find the dog - he is on every page and he loves all the adventures afforded by this brilliant house. Take an especially close look at the art room where Jack's dog has been used as a model for a sculpture. It is so funny.

There are two other books in this series:




I would pair this book with Andrew Henry's Meadow by Doris Burn.

No comments: