Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Reading to Preschoolers - parent talk Part One




Tonight I am so lucky to be able to talk to some preschool teachers, family day carers and interested parents about reading to preschool children.  It's not really rocket science in my view. Just read lots of books, have fun, do NOT make this a chore, read the books you love, read easy books, books that inspire, books that allow for participation, do nothing with the book - just read it, find books that match things from your day, giggle, laugh, sing, and watch the children grow.

I have been collecting books to share with this group of adults. There are so many I could include. I am going to do several posts on this topic. Here is my first set of books:


Please Mr Panda; We love you Mr Panda; Thank You, Mr Panda; Goodnight Mr Panda; I'll wait Mr Panda by Steve Antony.

Pants; More Pants; Animal Pants; Party Pants by Giles Andreae illustrated by Nick Sharratt.


Play; Tall; Hug; Yes by Jez Alborough


What does an Anteater eat?; There's a bear on my chair; This Zoo is not for you by Ross Collins


Come on Daisy; Daisy's day out; Daisy on the moon; Daisy and the egg; Daisy to the rescue




The art of Britta Teckentrup might inspire an art activity.

Mem Fox (Possum Magic) has a terrific list of ten read aloud commandments.  Click this one to read the whole list:

Please read aloud every day because you just adore being with your child, not because it’s the right thing to do.  Mem Fox

No comments: