Friday, November 1, 2019

Reading on my journey



On my long series of flights to Austin, Texas for the USBBY conference last weekend I plowed through quite a few Middle Grade Novels.

I needed to read some more titles written by conference presenters - Nicola Davies, Grace Lin and Naomi Shahib Nye and I had some other titles on my "to read" list which I purchased for Kindle.  Watch this space for more comments about the actual conference - there is so much I'm keen to share but for now here are some books you might like to explore.

Whale Boy by Nicola Davies

This book was published in 2013.  Here are a couple of quotes from her web site:
I don’t remember a time when I wasn’t fascinated by animals ... In the last two years I've returned to studying animals and have been helping out on a long term study of sperm whales, sailing in the Sea of Cortez, and the Caribbean off the island of Dominica.

Whale Boy is a gripping boys own adventure about a young boy battling against corruption. It reminded me of books by Carl Hiaasen. The scene where the beautiful whale is captured and put into a tank still lingers with me - it was simply horrible.  Readers aged 10+ are sure to enjoy this book especially if you love boats, whales, tales of good triumphing over evil, and stories of bravery.

The Turtle of Oman by Naomi Shihab Nye  

I was at a conference recently and one of the speakers talked about our need for quiet books. Mark McLeod was talking about quiet picture books but The Turtle of Oman is a quiet, wise and gentle novel.

Aref Al-Amri is moving to America to live in Michigan. The circumstances are not harsh or dangerous. His parents are academics in Oman but they have been offered work in an American university and so for the next three years Aref will live in a strange new place.  Aref does not want to go. His wise grandfather Sidi takes charge of Aref and together they explore different happy places in Oman. This special time allows Aref to accept (for now) that he will fit in and enjoy this new chapter in his life.

Here is a quote from the Kirkus star review: Spanning Aref’s final week in Oman, this sensitive chronicle perceptively conveys the feelings and fears of a boy about to leave the known and face the unknown.

I highly recommend this book for readers aged 9+ who enjoy reading about far away places and very special relationships.

The Year of the Dog by Grace Lin originally published in 2005  

This book is based on Grace's own experiences as an Asian-American with Taiwanese heritage. The story begins and ends with the family New Year celebrations. I loved the honesty of this story and the very funny family moments. There is one heart-wrenching scene when Pacy decides to try out for the role of Dorothy in the school musical of The Wizard of Oz. I guess you can imagine she does not get the role.  I have included the bright new cover which I think is more appealing than the original.

Pacy - "The Year of the Dog is also for thinking. Since dogs are also honest and sincere, it's a good year to find yourself."

Readers aged 9+ who enjoy books about family, friendship, happiness and disappointments, school life and delicious food will find themselves racing through the pages of this terrific story.

Publisher's Weekly said: Lin creates an endearing protagonist, realistically dealing with universal emotions and situations.


Secret Sisters of the Salty Sea by Lynne Rae Perkins 

If you have ever taken a beach holiday you will enjoy this languid summer time story. Alix and Jools are sisters and they are kind and understanding of each other. I found this sibling relationship so refreshing. No fighting, no mean tricks just a happy easy relationship. The family live far from the sea. This is their first beach holiday and there is so much to enjoy and explore along with the fun of finding new friends. I especially loved the dad in this book - he is wise and funny.

Horn Book said: ... beautifully composed, slightly mysterious, gently funny — add to the intensity and authenticity.


Outlaw by Michael Morpurgo originally published in 1996 under the title Robin of Sherwood.  

LoveReading4Kids describe this as a vivid re-telling about the legendary hero Robin Hood and I totally agree. I read this whole book in one sitting.

This is a perfect book for fans of Michael Morpurgo (there were lots of them in my former school library) and for readers aged 10+ who are curious about Robin Hood.

Read this review in Book Bag for all the plot details: Robin is a brilliant hero, brave, loyal, but with enough flaws to be interesting, and the supporting cast are drawn superbly. The Sheriff and Guy of Gisbourne are truly vile antagonists, Marian is a love interest to be cherished, and the rest of the Merry Men each feel like real people. It's also, as you'd expect if you have any experience of Morpurgo's writing, really easy to read - and hard to put down!


Each Little Bird that Sings by Deborah Wiles  published 2005

I have saved the best for last - this book is utterly wonderful - why did I wait so long to read it? This book will have to go into my top books for readers aged 10+. This list just grows and grows.

I am going to talk in some depth about this book and the emotional effect it had on me in a future post.

If you need proof I loved this book - my copy was on my Kindle - I now plan to buy a real copy to add to my groaning bookshelf. Yes it is THAT good! I'm not sure that I love the cover but the good news is this book is still in print and it is available as a paperback. I originally added this  book to my "to read" list because I loved a previous title by Deborah Wiles - Love, Ruby Lavender.

KidsReads expresses my thoughts but in a more eloquent way: "... a touching tearjerker for young readers about coming to terms with death and remembering to appreciate life in all its capacities. With a slicing candor that is at times hard to stomach yet crucial to the book's overall resonance, Deborah Wiles has penned a second novel that will hit readers through the heart."

No comments: