Thursday, March 26, 2020

I Yam a Donkey by Cece Bell



Language can be so confusing. "I am" - two words which might sound like "I yam".  Add in the complication of an actual Yam and a silly donkey and you have a perfect recipe for fun. The conversation goes back and forth and the frustration levels of poor Yam are so funny. This is a book to read aloud. It is sure to tickle your funny bone.

"Okay. So what you is saying is that you is a donkey, right?"
"NO! I am not a donkey! And it's not 'you is'! It's 'you are'! You are, you are, you are!"

I read one reviewer who mentioned children might not know about yams? 




You can see the art from this book here on Seven Impossible Things.

Here is another book by Cece Bell which I talked about on this blog - Rabbit and Robot - the Sleepover.

There is a sequel to I Yam A Donkey - You loves Ewe (2019).


I was interested to read Cece Bell is married to Tom Angleberger author of the terrific Origami Yodi series which are perfect for Middle Grade readers.


It is not on the same topic but I would pair I Yam a Donkey with Wonkey Donkey - just because it is another very funny book about donkeys.


No comments: