Sunday, March 22, 2020

Nothing by Yasmeen Ismail



This book follows the tradition of Come Away from the Water Shirley; Time to get out of the Bath, Shirley; and Kirsty Knows Best. Just like Shirley and Kirsty, Lila is a girl with an exceptional imagination.


Lila and her mother are setting of to visit Grandfather.  Lila's mother keeps checking what Lila is doing - she says:

Nothing!

But this is not really true. Lila is using her imagination and so her daily routine is so much more interesting.

Is Lila putting on her shoes? No she is wrestling a gigantic purple octopus.

"I'll fight this fearsome beastie and soon he will regret not giving up much sooner to become my faithful pet."


Is Lila fetching her coat? No she is busy with her acrobatic ribbons while riding a zebra.

"Flip and spring and ZOOM and tumble. I won't slip. I NEVER fumble. I boing and bounce. I ping and pong! I'm quick and swift and super strong!"

Every page in this book is a riot of colour and movement. Best of all Grandpa has an imagination too and so the two of them can fly off the page and away with the birds.

You might like to compare Nothing with Drac and the Gremlin which explores imaginative play in an urban backyard.


No comments: