Saturday, August 29, 2020

My tooth is lost! A Monkey and Cake book by Drew Daywalt illustrated by Olivier Tallec




Monkey has lost his tooth. Cake, his friend, explains about the tooth fairy and money and how impossible it will be to use that tooth again. But is he right?

Visiting my favourite school library is one of the highlights of my week especially since (even though I am not a student) the friendly Teacher-Librarian is happy for me to borrow any book I like. Last week I talked about Spark from the Tiny Tales series by Canadian author Kallie George. This week I headed over to the same section and I found My Tooth is lost! A Monkey and Cake book. Boy oh boy oh boy this is such FUN! I am not the intended audience but I fell about laughing when I read and then reread My Tooth is lost!

Have you read the Mo Williems books about Elephant and Piggie?  The Monkey and Cake book series use the same question and answer format employing colour as a way to distinguish the two voices in the odd ball converstation:

Hello, Monkey.

Hello, Cake.

You look sad.

I am sad.

Why are you sad?

I lost a tooth.

You lost a tooth? But that is a not a bad thing. That is a good thing.

I would pair this book with the Mo Willems title I lost my Tooth:

Take a look here to see one of the book in this series - What is inside THIS box? Drew Daywalt is famous for his crayons books and Olivier Tallec is a French illustrator. Here is a work sheet but really I would just add this book to a Primary school or preschool library - no need for simple worksheets - just enjoy this book -  simply because it is such fun.


If you would like to move beyond the idea that these are just simple and funny books take a look at this interesting perspective.

No comments: