Saturday, December 19, 2020

Silent Night by Lara Hawthorne


Here is a scrumptious picture book designed by Lara Hawthorne to showcase the lyrics of the famous Christmas carol.

Stunning illustrations bring new life to a well-loved Christmas carol. Kirkus Star review



Image source: Christmas Printables


Silent Night was composed in 1818 in Salzburg, Austria. In 1834 it was performed for King Frederick Williams IV of Prussia and he then "ordered his cathedral choir to sing it every Christmas Eve."

During the truce of the First world War on Christmas Day in 1914 Silent Night and Stille Nacht were the sung on both sides of the trenches. I also highly recommend Christmas in the Trenches and Shooting at the stars as another way to explore this famous song.



I previously mentioned Lara Hawthorne has a new book - The Twelve Days of Christmas. Here are some other books illustrated by Lara Hawthorne which I have added to my "to read" list:



Last year I talked about Silent Night illustrated by Susan Jeffers. I found a couple of other books based on Silent Night. The one by Grace Lin is a board book.


2 comments:

kinderbooks said...

Silent Night by Susan Jeffers has great illustrations too.

Momo said...

Thanks Kinderbooks I had forgotten the beautiful Susan Jeffers book. I have added a link. Merry Christmas to my top fan!