Thursday, July 2, 2020

One for the Murphys by Lynda Mullaly Hunt






"Carley Conners. Thirteen letters. How unlucky can one person be?"

"I freeze. I remember telling my mother his name spelled backwards was 'sinned' and she laughed at me. Back when she first bought him home and I had a sick feeling about him."

"I realise that the last four letters in 'Julie' are 'u lie'."

Carley's mum has a new partner and their dysfunctional life has now spiraled in to real danger. One night Dennis violently attacks Carley and her mum. Her mother is now in a coma in hospital and Carley is taken into foster care with the Murphy family. There's Mr Murphy (huge baseball fan and firefighter); Mrs Murphy (she has an important secret to share with Carley and she is able to show Carley how a real family and real mother should behave); Daniel (the oldest son); Adam (second son) and the youngest son Michael Eric. Michael Eric is the first one to reach through the hard shell Carley has put up around herself.  I will confess I fell in love with this wonderful little fellow and his cute double name.

Over the coming months Carley learns to navigate life in this warm family. Her hostility is deeply painful to observe but I knew Mrs Murphy's kindness would eventually help heal this broken girl and help her with the next steps in her life:

"And most of all, I think about Mrs Murphy - the way she gives everything, does everything, holds us all up. Meeting her makes me feel like God has started paying attention. The way she reached in, pulled me out, dusted me off, and said that I only need to be the great person that I am."

Not all books should be used for book studies. I think One for the Murphys is better placed in the hands of an individual reader aged 11+who enjoys very emotional stories and realistic fiction but I did find a teachers guide for this book if this interests you. I picked up One for the Murphys because I loved Shouting at the rain also by Lynda Mullaly Hunt. I am so happy that I had the beautiful emotional experience of reading One for the Murphys. You have probably guessed that I sobbed at the end.

You can hear Lynda talking about her book here at The Yarn.





I am drawn to books about foster kids.  I loved all of these:















No comments: