Monday, March 29, 2021

The CBCA Book of the Year short list announcement is coming

 


As I write this post tomorrow (30th March) at noon, the 2021 Children's Book Council of Australia short list titles in the five categories will be announced.  I am not good at predictions but after reading many of the Notable titles here are my top six in three of the categories:

Book of the Year Younger Readers

"Entries in this category may be fiction, drama or poetry and should be appropriate in style and content for readers from middle to upper primary years aged 7-12."

There were twenty titles on the Notable list including three (yes three) verse novels.  I am hoping at least one of these makes the cut - Worse Things by Sally Murphy; Zoe Max and the Bicycle Bus by Steven Herrick and Bindi by Kirli Saunders. I am going to be sneaky and list five books here without including any of the verse novels in the hope one of these three is included.

We are Wolves; Haywire; The Republic of Birds; Across the Risen Sea; and Beyond Belief.

I also loved The Book of Chance by Sue Whiting; and The Fire Star by AL Tait. 

Book of the Year: Early Childhood

"Entries in this category may be fiction, drama or poetry and should be appropriate in style and content for children who are at pre-reading or early stages of reading - ages 0-6."

Busy Beaks and What do you call your grandpa are the only ones from this selection that I have talked about here. I wonder why Busy Beaks was not entered in the Eve Pownall (Non Fiction) category.

I also like This Small Blue Dot by Zeno Sworder; and for this age group, Ten Little figs by Rhian Williams.

Picture Book of the Year

"Entries in this category should be outstanding books of the Picture Book genre in which the author and illustrator achieve artistic and literary unity or, in wordless picture books, where the story, theme or concept is unified through illustrations. Ages 0-18."

It was not too hard to find six books from the Notables. If I could have included eight here I would add in Hello Jimmy by Anna Walker; and Anisa's Alphabet by Hannah Sommerville.  I really enjoyed Sometimes Cake but I wish it had been entered in the Early Childhood category. 


Ellie's Dragon; I saw Pete and Pete saw me; How to make a bird; The Fire Wombat; The Biscuit Maker; and Littlelight.

I read some beautiful words by Betsy Bird on her Fuse8 blog today about this picture book Wishes by Mượn Thị Văn, ill. Victo Ngai.  I think these comments should apply to the very best of picture books we offer to children. Here are a couple of text quotes from Betsy's post:

When a book keeps the storytelling short and the art elaborate, your head uses the visuals to fill in the gaps. ... Find a child, read it to them, and count yourselves lucky that both they and you have been allowed to experience this story together.

One last thing - I will mention these two books again - both should have been notables in my view. I do hope they will be shared with students and not overlooked.




No comments: