Monday, March 1, 2021

Busy Beaks by Sarah Allen



I am reading my way through the CBCA 2021 Notable titles. Busy Beaks is on the Picture Book of the Year list but I really think it should be on the Eve Pownall list for Non Fiction. The text is simple but the addition of scientific names for each bird and the final pages which give further details about each bird means that I would have put this book in my school library at 598.0994. That's where I found it in the library where I borrowed my copy. Some birds (there are twenty-five) in this book are: Rainbow Lorikeet; Powerful Owl; Laughing Kookaburra; Eastern Rosella; Bar-Tailed Codwit; Spotted Pardalotes; and the Red-necked Avocet.

In 2015 I did a bird tour of Shetland and Orkney and while I am not personally a bird watcher (or twitcher) I gained a new admiration and understanding of people who love to hunt out birds. On Fair Isle our tour guide had the most amazing knowledge of birds which he enjoying sharing with our small group. A book like Busy Beaks would be a wonderful present for the bird watchers I met and for their young children to gain an appreciation of our wonderful Australian birds.



My favourite page in this book are the ones filled with yellow and green budgies and the pelican page. Here is a set of teaching notes from Affirm Press. Sarah Allen has a poster filled with all of her bird images. Take a look at some other art by Sarah Allen including Christmas postage stamps. When you pick up Busy Beaks make sure you stop and look at the end papers. They are filled with eggs of all shapes and sizes. 

Blurb: Spend a day with Australia’s most vibrant and unique feathered friends.  Full of splashing shorebirds, clattering cockatoos, parading penguins and greedy galahs, Busy Beaks is the perfect introduction to Australian birds of all shapes and sizes.

Here are some companion books:



No comments: