Thursday, March 10, 2022

Books I shared today

 

Unpacking some favourites - picture books and thoughtful insights


I was very excited to be asked to share some picture books today with a group of Teacher-Librarians who were attending a professional development session organised by PLCC (Primary Libraries: Creative Collaboration).

I think the plan was to share 2 or 3 picture books but of course I did way more. After all, I have talked about over 950 picture books on this blog.

I set my purpose as:

  • Picture books too good to miss
  • Picture books to explore deeply
  • Picture books that might be new to this group of Teacher-Librarians

Why:

I love picture books that enrich children’s lives, that contain carefully crafted text and images, are of universal appeal and are thus able to be shared with children around the world

Here are  few books that match my philosophy. I didn't talk about any of these but as I said, I cannot limit myself to just 2 or 3 books.  You can search for each of these by title:





My key texts for this talk were:










I decided to cover five topics:

Focus on on illustrator - in this case the Hans Christian Andersen nominee (recently short listed) Canadian illustrator Sydney Smith. IBBY Australia are excited that Margaret Wild has been short listed for the 2022 HCA Award. 

Focus on the UN Sustainable Development Goals - Goal One No Poverty - book It's a no Money Day.

Discover the illustrator Frann Preston-Gannon - every library should own the poetry book she illustrated - I am the Seed that Grew the Tree.

Focus on a theme - Whales

Focus on a book for Stage 3 - A Page in the Wind - point of view and inference.

Here are the books I shared about whales. I selected this because there is a book about whales on the CBCA Early Childhood notables list - Walk of the whales by Nick Bland.












No comments: