Wednesday, June 22, 2022

Grandma's Story by Moira Butterfield illustrated by Salvatore rubbino




When my precious little grandmother (we called her little Nan) died in the 1970s I realised there were so many questions I didn't ask. Amy Elizabeth was born in 1887 so just think about all the changes she saw in her lifetime. I had the same dilemma when my dad died (1923-2001) and later when my mum died.  So many unanswered questions. This book explores the idea that it is so important to ask questions and ask them often. I wonder that no book I have seen before works from this premise. Well done Walker Books UK - this book is truly special. If you know someone who is a new Grandparent I suggest this book would be a really perfect gift. 

Here are some of the questions:

  • Where did you live when you were little?
  • What food did you like when you were small? Which food didn't you like at all?
  • Did you have a toy that you liked best?
  • Did you have a pet that you helped to look after?

Then the book goes on to talk about the story from photographs and the wish of the grandmother that her grandchild will grow and change and learn.

At the back of the book there are further ideas for questions to ask your grandparents. I am certain you will be able to think of lots of others. This book might also inspire you to sort and preserve some of the millions of photos we take on our phones. We have moved from an age of scarce photos to one of abundance. (No one took any photos of my mother until she was a teenager and I only have photos of my little Nan aged 60+).  The issue now is finding a way to hold onto the important family moments captured in all those phone photos so you can share them with your children and grandchildren as they grow older. 

In someways the diverse answers in this book really don't matter. They are interesting but the true joy that will come from sharing this book will be the conversation you (the adult) share with your young reading companion. This book will also be perfect to use in a classroom as a catalyst for conversations at home and as a part of a history topic in Grade One or Two. 


Bookwagon loves this picture book. We suggest it is a magnificent choice to read aloud, to build discussion and understanding from. Grandma’s Story is a welcome addition to any school or home bookshelf.

I am a HUGE fan of art by Salvatore Rubbino.  Take a look at these books:


Ride the Wind (one of my most favourite picture books)




No comments: