Friday, June 3, 2022

Hug your Cat Day 2022

 


Image Source: The Days of the Year


I do need to begin this post by saying I am not a cat person but when I saw this post from my friend at Kinderbookswitheverything I thought of my own favourite cat books. I hope my friend doesn't mind my "copycat" post! She has a fabulous Pinterest of cat books for you to explore. Actually I once "cat sat" her cat and we did actually become, not exactly friends, but perhaps slightly closer acquaintances. 

Is Hug your cat Day real thing?  Yes it is - here is what I discovered: More than 30 years ago, in 1987, the Executive Cat Day Committee in Japan chose February 22 after a poll of over 9,000 cat lovers. The date 2-22 can be pronounced ni-ni-ni, which sounds close the Japanese equivalent of a cat's meow, nyan-nyan-nyan.

The date for this day (as identified by my friend) is 4th June. 

Here are some of the cat books I have mentioned on this blog plus a couple of others that I do like (even though, as I said, I am in fact not a cat person at all - give me a dog to cuddle any day). I have included picture books and novels but I do need to warn you many of these cats are not especially cuddly! I am quite surprised I found so many terrific books about cats to include in the past on this blog. I think this first one - Little Night Cat is my favourite and the most interesting one to read aloud is Cat, you Better Come home. 


Little Night Cat







































Here are a couple of other books you might find in a library - Catwings by Ursula Le Guin; The Tale of Tom Kitten by Beatrix Potter; Crenshaw by Katherine Applegate; Kitten's First Full Moon by Kevin Henkes; There are No Cats in this book by Viviane Schwarz; Come Down Cat by Sonya Hartnett; the Mog series by Judith Kerr; The Night Garden by Elise Hurst; If you give a cat a cupcake by Laura Numeroff; and a really old classic book The Incredible Journey by Sheila Burnford. (There have been so many different covers for this one over the years - here are two).



No comments: