Thursday, September 23, 2021

Just Ducks by Nicola Davies illustrated by Salvatore Rubbino


Rubbino’s mixed-media illustrations, done in a subdued palette of watery greens, grays and browns, truly impress. Kirkus Star review

The first thing a little girl hears each morning is the quack quack quack of the ducks. She sees them on the river bank as she crosses the bridge to school and in the afternoons she and her mother feed the ducks. Around my lake there are signs asking people not to feed bread to the ducks but instead to purchase (cheap) duck food from a local cafe. 


In simple language perfect for younger readers, Nicola Davies explains the feather colours and habits of mallard ducks. "They both have a secret patch of blue on each wing, that I see when they stretch or fly."

I have two reasons for selecting this book from my friend's fabulous library.  First of all I just love illustrations by Salvatore Rubbino which I first saw in the book Ride the Wind. Secondly, I live beside a lake and right now little sets of baby ducks can be seen dutifully following mother ducks along the shore. Everyone, old and young, stop watch because they are so cute!  I have also talked about the splendid work and varied work of Nicola Davies here on this blog especially after she was a featured speaker at the USBBY Conference I attended. 

Just Ducks has an index, a page with extra information about ducks and scattered throughout the text, little facts are shared in a different font expanding on the narrative of that page.  Here are a few of the splendid titles from the Read and Wonder series (Candlewick ) or as Walker Books calls them Nature Storybooks. Read more here from my friend at Kinderbookswitheverything. You can see a Pinterest collection of them here.  These are an essential addition which should be added to every Primary school library.


No comments: