Saturday, December 7, 2019

Flubby is NOT a good pet by J.E. Morris





I am in love (yes I know that is a strong word) with this book!  It is perfect. It is funny. It is ideal for a beginning reader who is gaining confidence AND it contains a satisfying story. This book also shows how illustrations and words should be combined. This is a simple book that has so much to offer you and your young reading companion.

Recently there was a social media discussion about the books used in classrooms of the 1960's.  The biggest difference in my view between those early readers and Flubby is humour.  Oh and probably the use of speech bubbles!

Compare the text:

This is from "A Book to Read" NSW Department of Education illustrated by Katherine Morris 1950-1960.

This is David.
This is Wendy.
This is Sue.
David is a boy. Wendy is a girl. Sue is a little girl. (I always felt sorry for Sue)
Sue has a little doll.
Wendy has a big doll.
See my big doll, Sue.
See my little doll, Wendy.

This is from "Flubby is NOT a good pet"  Penguin Random House 2019

This is Flubby.
He is my pet.
Kim has a pet.
Kim's pet can sing.
Sing, Flubby! Sing!
Flubby does not sing.
Sam has a pet.
Sam's pet can catch.
Catch, Flubby! Catch the ball!
Flubby does not catch.

The text in Flubby is just as controlled and perhaps just as predicable as the old book from decades ago BUT now take a look at both sets of illustrations.






Kami, the owner of Flubby, compares him with the pets owned by her friends. Flubby cannot sing, jump, run or play catch BUT Flubby is the perfect friend when she needs him.

But he needs me and I need him.

I am happy to report there is a second book about Flubby.  I need to read this - it's sure to be fabulous.



J.E. Morris (Jennifer) is the illustrator of  Please Write Back! This is another favourite book of mine which is completely perfect for the beginner and yet is also contains a very satisfying story.


I am also very keen to find other books by Jennifer Morris such as the Maud the Koala series.



No comments: