Friday, September 2, 2022

My Dad by Susan Quinn illustrated by Marina Ruiz


Sunday (here in Australia) is Father's Day.  My own dad died more than twenty years ago but I do wish he could come over to my place this weekend and wash my car, rehang all my paintings (I took them down when my home was painted) and he might also like to fix my broken kettle. In other words I need my handy man dad (quite badly).

The dad is this book is very special too. Not because he has been into space or been a spy but because he is so good at giving his precious boy his time. This dad turns the living room into a race track for toy cars, he bakes cookies and chocolate cake, he likes to grow vegetables in his garden, he makes a visit to the supermarket an event filled with imagination, and then at the end of the day:

"Bedtime is for stories and for snuggling up tight. Then we count the twinkling stars, before Dad says 'night night!' I love this time I spend with Dad he's the best a dad can be. And every day is special when it's just my Dad and me."

Take your time with the illustrations in this book. On the page where the boy describes all of the super busy dads every one is in tones of grey with their feet flying in the air but his dad (we can only see his legs) is in a bright colour with two feet firmly on the ground. 


On the page where dad is gardening two garden gnomes (one male one female) watch on with sweet smiles. In the supermarket you will spy monkeys, snakes, lizards and even a jaguar. And do compare the front and back covers - they are perfect. You might talk about these questions - Where is mum? Why are there only two pairs of shoes on the title page?

Marina Ruiz’s soft, textured, multi-media illustrations welcome readers into the comforting home and routine of a little boy and his dad as they spend treasured time together. From home to the soccer field to beach picnics to the grocery store transformed by imagination, Ruiz’s gorgeous color palette and collage-style images highlight what makes this father-son relationship so special. Celebrate Picture Books

At the opening, we see the narrator drawing pictures in his bedroom, the style and content of which are referenced throughout the rest of the book. This lovely touch gives the impression that the illustrations are a team effort between the illustrator and the fictional child.  IBBY UK

You can see the art style of Marina Ruiz on her website. Here is a video of the whole book. And see inside this book on the publisher site. 

Take a look at my post from 2020 where I share other books to enjoy on Father's Day. 







No comments: