Saturday, December 17, 2022

Merry Christmas, Blue Kangaroo! by Emma Chichester Clark

 



Listen to an audio sample of Joanna Lumley reading this book. It is extra funny because Joanna tries to make little Blue Kangaroo sound 'slightly' Australian!



I think this might be the US edition with a more literal title.

Blue Kangaroo sees everyone preparing for Christmas. Everyone keeps saying this is for you - Blue Kangaroo because it is his first Christmas but our little friend is so worried. Lily has shown him his special gift (and cards, and decorations, and even a gingerbread kangaroo) but what can he give Lily? On Christmas Eve, while everyone is asleep, Santa arrives so Blue Kangaroo heads down the stairs to have a little chat. On Christmas morning Lily finds the best surprise ever!

Here is a video of Rosamund Pike reading Merry Christmas, Blue Kangaroo! This book was published in 2006 but it is still available which is good news. I picked up my copy at a recent charity book sale for the bargain price of 50 cents and it is in mint condition. I will be gifting it to a young child this Christmas. 

I am a huge fan of the Blue Kangaroo series they are all perfect to read aloud to preschool and Kindergarten groups and in fact I asked a friend of mine to make me a toy Blue Kangaroo many years ago and when I left my former school I gifted him to a school library. They also own the real toy.

Here is the plush toy that was once available to buy with this series:


Here are some of the other books from this series:




Emma Chichester Clark also has another completely wonderful Christmas book that I highly recommend you try to find and share this year (especially on Christmas eve) - Melrose and Croc.

No comments: